Saturday, July 20, 2013

How warm was it?

The fishing reports were suggesting the best fishing in and around Missoula would be in the morning and evening. That means that the water is warm, and warm water means the fish are down. They are not actively feeding since they are more or less in survival mode.  A trout fisherman looks for water less that 60F for best conditions, and while the water cools some overnight, high ambient temperatures push it back up in the daytime.

With that as a note, I moved out at 6:00 - right from the tent. I walked well away from the campground, as most people will not walk to fish. That leaves me the rest of the river and less pressure on the fish.

I walked about 20 minute and found "good water". I wet waded (meaning that I had no waders, and just wore my pants). When I got to the river I spotted a fish resting. I did not spook him and he did not move. So I prodded him with my rod -- he did want to move - so I touched him again and he took off....  Not a good sign!

I fished for over 2 hours and nothing. In addition, I was not cold being in the water. HHHMMMM

I returned to the campground for breakfast and latte - Alicia slept in - and reported my findings.

This will not be a good place to fish -- too warm and too many tubers.

So we decided to pack up Missoula and head to cooler water --  The MO.

No comments:

Post a Comment